8.31.2010

Grievances: Pregnancy Edition

Being Kicked in the Belly

Sure, you expect to be kicked from the inside... by a tiny fluttery fetus. But this time around I am dealing with a crazy toddler who insists on pummeling me with his heels every time I try to change his diaper. Unfortunately, he is tall enough that if I sit far enough away to avoid the kicks, then I can't really reach the diaper. Of course, I can't just refuse to change him when he kicks either because that will just create other, messier problems to deal with. I've been trying to explain to him that he can't kick Momma's belly because Morsel lives in there.

Nasal Congestion

I don't recall experiencing this unpleasant symptom while expecting Eddie, but for the last couple months, my constant congestion has been driving me crazy. As if breathing was not already becoming difficult enough because of the increased blood volume and diminished lung capacity. If I remain this congested throughout the pregnancy, by December I'll probably just have to walk around with my mouth gaping open. And forget about eating quietly. Dave will be embarrassed to eat with me in public.

Ridiculous Dreams

As you may remember, I had all sorts of crazy dreams during my pregnancy with Ed. Most of them centered around my insecurities about being a mother. But this time around my dreams have been much more... eclectic. I would much rather be having pleasant dreams (or sleeping so soundly that I don't remember my dreams at all). I don't want to give too much away since I plan on doing a full follow-up post detailing these dreams, but here are a few featured topics: circus folk, lesbians, child abuse. Don't worry, only two out of the three were related. Any guesses?

3 comments:

Dave said...

The heavy breathing while eating is one of my favorite parts of your pregnancies.

Anonymous said...

Oh pregnancy! You forget til someone brings it up. I totally had the congestion thing and it was crazy annoying. I have crazy dreams all the time. I can't wait to hear yours.

Caitlinp said...

I think the one thing I do remember from the last time is the congestion. While I was in labor they gave me oxygen and I was SO shocked at how good it felt just to breathe that I fell asleep. And the whole toddler climbing on the belly thing really does hurt. That is definitely new this time around. Good luck.