10.20.2008

10 Favorite Albums of My Teenage Years

I just realized it has been exactly a month since I posted anything on this blog... so it's my turn! Here goes...

Dave and I were recently reminiscing about the good old days when you'd have to shell out $15 to buy a CD or you'd have to borrow it from a friend and record it onto a tape if you wanted a pirated copy. Ah, simpler times. Now we don't even own a tape player and the last CD we bought was over a year ago when we were in Florida and desperate for some decent music in our rental car.

While my musical tastes have not changed much in the last 10 years, Dave has helped me branch out a little bit. A few of my former faves have sold out by now, which makes me a little embarrassed to admit to some of these. But I am actually surprised to find how many have held up over the years and are still favorites.

10. Train (Train)
I bought this CD based on the merits of "Meet Virginia," which I learned to love via the radio (another antiquated medium for me). I did come to enjoy the rest of the CD as well. I was disappointed when it was stolen out of my car back in 2004, but not disappointed enough to replace it.



"She doesn't own a dress - her hair is always a mess. If you catch her stealin' she won't confess. She's beautiful..."

9. Fairweather Johnson (Hootie and the Blowfish)
This may have been the first CD that I actually owned. I bought it when I was in the 6th grade. There is just something about Darius Rucker's voice that gets me every time. I think now that Cracked Rear View is the better of the two albums, but Fairweather Johnson will always hold a special place in my heart.


"I thought about you for a long, long time. I wrote about you but the words don't seem to rhyme."

8. Get a Grip (Aerosmith)
Thinking back on this one baffles me. I have no recollection of why I bought this CD, but I remember listening to it a lot. These days whenever Dave and I need a good laugh, we just cue up a little Aerosmith (Bon Jovi works just as well).




"I was cryin' when I met you, now I'm tryin' to forget you. Love is a sweet misery."

7. Songs From An American Movie, Vol. 1: Learning How To Smile (Everclear)
I didn't actually own this album, but when my brother Jason left on his mission, he told me I could borrow 5 of his CDs. What he didn't specify was that I could borrow only 5 total... I took it to mean 5 at a time. This album was one of them. Now I realize that Everclear doesn't have much musical skill, but I still loved this album as a 16-year old... especially "Now That It's Over," which was particularly fitting after breaking up with my boyfriend. I always have liked angry music.

"Maybe we can be friends now that we're older, we can have fun like we did in the early days, now that it's over... Yeah right!"

6. Dizzy Up The Girl (Goo Goo Dolls)
Like every other teenage girl of the late '90's, I loved the song "Iris." Therefore, I loved the Goo Goo Dolls. This was, of course, the beginning of the Goo Goo Dolls' selling-out, but I didn't mind. That Johnny Rzeznik was so dreamy... And what girl has never liked a boy who didn't even know she existed? Ah, those were the days.


"And I don't want the world to see me 'cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's meant to be broken, I just want you to know who I am."

5. Yourself or Someone Like You (Matchbox 20)
This was probably my favorite album all through middle school and junior high. When I was 15, Matchbox Twenty released Mad Season, which I immediately bought. The Mad Season tour included the first concert I ever went to. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I had a huge crush on Rob Thomas and even had a picture of him in my locker for years. However, after seeing him in real life at the concert, I simmered down a bit and was able to move past that obsession before he began his illustrious solo career.

"She said I don't know if I've ever been good enough. I'm a little bit rusty and I think my head is caving in."

4. Blue Album (Weezer)
Here is another album borrowed from my brother. Released when I was 9, it seems like this album has always been around. Every song on this album rocks, but "Only In Dreams" was a favorite of my teenage years and still holds up today. So existential. Also, don't be too surprised if we end up with a kid named Jonas, inspired by "My Name is Jonas."

"You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her, she's in the air, between the molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide."

3. Vs. (Pearl Jam)
Just like the Blue Album, Pearl Jam's Vs. seems like it's been around forever. After all, it was released when I was 8. Luckily I found a fellow Pearl Jam fan in Dave and we have quite a collection of their music. I enjoy their other albums, but this one always reminds me of driving around Price trying to explain the merits of "Glorified G" to my boyfriend at the time. My favorite song off this album is "Daughter." Eddie Vedder's voice is the stuff of legend.

"Alone, listless... breakfast table in an otherwise empty room. Young girl, violins... center of her own attention."

2. The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner (Ben Folds Five)
Whatever and Ever Amen probably would've made the list if Jason had owned it back in the day. However, he did own The Unauthorized Biography of Reinhold Messner, so that was the first Ben Folds Five album I fell in love with. There are a few songs on this album that I don't really care for, but the ones I do like make up for it. I liked this album so much that after I started taking piano lessons, I purchased the piano music from the album. Unfortunately, I am not quite as skilled on piano as Ben Folds and can only play "Narcolepsy" (sort of).

"I should warn you, I go to sleep. I know you don't know what I mean... yet. 'Cause I'm not tired, I'm not tired. I just sleep."

1. Californication (Red Hot Chili Peppers)
I'm not sure what first tipped me off that the Chili Peppers are awesome, but I bought this album soon after it was released. This was another of my CDs that was stolen, but thanks to the wonder of mp3, we didn't lose the album. Anthony Kiedis has another one of those voices that I love, and I just can't resist the funk. This album also came around the same time that my family finally got satellite, and thusly, VH1 and MTV. I remember being blown away by the "Otherside" video and watching the premier of the "Californication" video. Of course, I will always have a special place in my heart for "Scar Tissue" because that was my first favorite on the album.

"Soft spoken with a broken jaw. Step outside but not to brawl. Autumn's sweet, we call it fall. I'll make it to the moon if I have to crawl."

Honorable Mentions:
Stunt (Barenaked Ladies)
All the Pain Money Can Buy (Fastball)
...And Out Come the Wolves (Rancid)

6 comments:

Erika said...

"Meet Virginia" huh... do you remember our parody on that? Meet the Squirrel..... ah, good times

Caitlinp said...

He, He. Oh the memories! Of course we all remember that striking parody dedicated to a certain King. I relied on you to expand my music sensibilities a little bit by making me a cd for me. I still like it.

Dave said...

Baffled by your "former" interest in Aerosmith? C'mon, I know all about the Steven Tyler poster you have hidden under the bed.

Krissy said...

Okay... I may have omitted some details regarding my "romantic exploits" of junior high and high school. Let's just say that I've got stories about several of these albums/songs that involve the fellas (many of whom I probably only spoke to once in my life).

And Caitlin failed to mention that the CD I made for her was dubbed "The Unrequited Love Mix." Fitting, I would say, considering my track record for having crushes on boys who didn't know I existed.

And who doesn't have a Steven Tyler poster hidden under their bed? I would hang it on the ceiling if Dave would let me.

Steve&Melissa said...

Ah, the memories! Most of those I didn't own when I was in high school, but I babysat for the COOLEST couple who owned all of them and let me rock out after the kids went to bed.

You and I need to come to an agreement on Jonas. I've been trying to talk Steve into letting me use that name forever! So you can only have it if Steve says no...you know...unless you guys beat us with a second boy!

Krissy said...

Well Melissa, you've got anywhere between two and five years to convince him. But maybe we could both have Jonases and they could be best friends.