4.04.2008

A Bittersweet Parting

When Dave and I first got married, we acquired a lot of cheap/free furniture to help fill up our apartment. Frequenters of the Logan D.I., we would often stop in to see if they had anything good. My favorite acquisition came from one of these spur-of-the-moment stops.

It was July 2004 and we were on our way to the Stadium 8 in Providence to see The Bourne Supremacy. We had time before the show started, so we stopped in at D.I. to check out the selection. In perusing the furniture section, I beheld a glorious sight: an avocado green crushed velvet rocking & swiveling wing chair. And at a mere $10, I was sold!

It took a few minutes, but I convinced Dave. Unfortunately, D.I. wasn’t willing to hold the chair for us until after our movie (or until we could get a larger vehicle to take it home in). We didn’t want to risk losing such a great find, so we paid our $10 and the workers attempted to load the chair into the old ‘92 Honda Accord. Of course it wouldn’t fit INSIDE the car. So we had to load it in the trunk and tie the lid down.

The sad part of the story (and the part that Dave will never let me forget) is that we didn’t have enough time to take it home and unload it before the movie started. And we couldn’t exactly just park our car at the movie theater for hours with the trunk open and that fabulous chair hanging out the back. So, we had to postpone our trip to the movies. In my opinion, it was worth it.

Despite Dave’s protests, the chair moved with us from Logan to Sugarhouse and from Sugarhouse to South Jordan. I just couldn’t bring myself to part with it without a darn good reason.

Well, last weekend marked the end of an era. The green chair, which has spent the last year in our bedroom with clothes draped all over it, has moved to a new home – my parents’ basement. Even though my mom insists on putting a slipcover on it (no Ma, avocado green does NOT clash with turquoise walls), at least it is staying in the family. Dave was just happy to see it go anywhere. And, the chair’s former place in our room has a new occupant: a bassinet, and in a matter of 6-8 weeks, a Smidgen. And THAT is the darn good reason for getting rid of it.

1 comment:

Christie said...

I had a pink crushed velvet inherited chair that I carried with me from home to home until we had Joshua. We donated it to the nursing lounge at the church, so I still get to visit it on occasion..