1.30.2008

A Place Called Vertigo

Being the U2 fan that I am, I recently dragged Kristen along to see U23D, which is currently playing on the Imax screen at Jordan Commons. As if Bono wasn't already larger than life, now you can see him over 50 feet tall and in three dimensions!

U23D was filmed in South America during the band's last world tour. It doesn't pretend to be anything more than a concert film, but I would agree with many critics that have said it is the closest thing to actually being there. And we didn't have to drop $100 a ticket to get in.

Naturally, the four members of the band command a good portion of the screen time. But quite often, the 3D effects also put you right in the middle of the crowd. At one point during the show, the entire stadium was jumping up and down in unison. The camera was looking straight down on the crowd from above, and it felt like the entire screen was pulsating.

Anyone who is even a casual U2 fan, I highly recommend that you head on down to Jordan Commons to see the show. Even Kristen, who usually cringes when I put my U2 concert dvds in, thought it was entertaining.

3 comments:

Krissy said...

In my defense, I generally only cringe at the U2 concert videos because of the ridiculous clothing choices of Bono and the Edge. I am referring specifically to Rattle & Hum, which features long-haired Bono in a vest (with no shirt underneath, of course) and pirate pants (you know, poofy with tapered legs). The Edge is wearing stonewashed jeans, a sport coat, and an Amish-style hat.

I'm not saying I'm the most fashionable person on earth, but every time I see that video, I thank my lucky stars that I do not remember much about the 80's.

Christie said...

Ahh I love the 80s. I've been thinking about taking Russ to see that for his birthday. We'll definitely have to see it based on Dave's recommendation..

Caitlinp said...

"But its Bono! The man can wear orange glasses in public and get away with it. This world needs more BONO.
Way to go Dave." Says, Mike Preece. While his wife rolls her eyes a few times. Every time a U2 song comes on he says, "I want to be Bono!" She hopes he doesn't start dressing like him, though. The leather pants, slicked back hair, orange sunglasses , and Irish accent just don't do it for her. (Well, maybe the accent...)