9.07.2010

The Job Hunt

As most of you know, I have been working limited hours at Salt City Candle since early 2009. By last fall, when it became clear this situation wasn't going to be resolved any time soon, I started preparing myself for the grueling task of job hunting.

Before I could start looking in earnest, my portfolio was in need of a complete overhaul. I spent my free Fridays working on this with the goal to have it finished by the end of 2009. I've always been someone who functions better with a deadline, and true to form I put the finishing touches on my new and improved portfolio on New Year's Eve no less. Check it out:


Over the last 8 months I have applied for dozens of positions, been a finalist for a few of them, and even briefly considered moving to St. Louis. But my search has finally come to an end. I'm going to take my talents to Stampin' Up and join their catalog team. A special shout out must go to friend and neighbor Cam Carter, who also works as a designer at Stampin' Up. He has been an invaluable inside man for me during this process.

I'm also extremely grateful for Kristen and her willingness to take on part time work to help us get by. But she is ready to be a mom again, and wasted no time turning in her notice at Salt Lake Community College. For the time being she is going to continue working mornings at Samson Cables—at least until Morsel is born.

As for Salt City, I have offered to stay on with them in a limited capacity, working on projects as needed in my spare time. Details are still being worked out, but it should be a mutually beneficial arrangement. At least now I will be the one working two jobs, not Kristen.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

I am so glad it has all worked out for you.

Krissy said...

Woo hoo! That means more time for baby clothes shopping and baby craft making for me! And hopefully less complaining. :)

Thanks for being a good sport about being a stay-at-home dad while I "worked" every night. I'm sure Ed will miss all the daddy time he's been getting.

Christie said...

Congrats-- glad the job hunting is done & glad you didn't move to St. Louis :-)

Anonymous said...

yea! Just in time for the family sale. It comes up this fall and just about everything is under 10 cents. Cam told me to start saving my change.