7.14.2010

Ten Things...

...We Noticed at the Paul McCartney Concert

A friend of mine recently got hired as the designer for Real Salt Lake. As his first order of business, he hooked us up with free tickets to the Paul McCartney concert at Rio Tinto Stadium last night (thanks, Ben). I've never been a huge Beatles/McCartney fan, but Sir Paul put on a great show. All in all, it was a fun way to spend a summer evening, especially considering the only money we spent was $4 on a blue raspberry snowie. Our seats were obstructed view on the far left of the stage (not that I'm complaining since it was free), but our eyes were free to wander at times for some crowd watching. Here are the highlights:

10. The "cougar" with badly bleached hair, artificially leathery skin, halter top, and short denim skirt. She sang and danced the night away, much to the embarrassment of her adolescent son (or was it her grandson?).

9. The middle-aged couple who sat stoically next to us through most of the show, but when "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" started, the wife popped out of her seat like a crazed teen.

8. The sign in the crowd endorsing "Paulygamy."

7. The young couple who got totally sloshed by the third song and attempted to redefine the term "public display of affection." Not with each other—with their Bud Light. Okay, that's not entirely accurate. It was more like a drunken foursome.

6. "Live and Let Die." I had only one requirement for the show—that Sir Paul play his theme from James Bond's answer to blaxploitation films. It was the second to last song of the main set, and the performance did not disappoint, complete with pyrotechnics that surely decimated every eyebrow in the first ten rows.

5. The old guy in the Hawaiian shirt dancing by himself in the aisle.

4. The sunset over Rio Tinto Stadium. This was our first time going to the venue, and I don't think it will be the last (especially if Ben can keep getting us free tickets).

3. The young woman a few rows in front of us with cleavage popping out on both ends. Her boyfriend was jumping up and down on his seat and waving his arms wildly throughout the whole show. He must really like Paul McCartney.

2. All the people who seemed more concerned about getting a lousy digital photo of the side of the stage with their mobile devices rather than just enjoying the show. If I had brought my camera, I would have used it on the young woman from #3. Just kidding.

1. Sir Paul's jowls gently swaying in the summer wind as he sang "Let It Be" and "Hey Jude."

8 comments:

Ike said...

I took my sister who is a huge Beatles fan. We were both expecting much less so we were blown away. Great show, especially the 2nd half.

For me the highlight of the show was when he played Harrison's "My Sweet Lord."

kjtroxel said...

that was hysterical! hahahahahaha

Krissy said...

You forgot about the middle-aged lady behind us who had to keep howling at random moments. And the hunch-backed guy a few rows down who was trying a little too hard to look cool. And how on the walk back to the car, the crowd was all talking about the show and we were talking about how great our blue raspberry snowie was.

Good times...

Dave said...

Not to mention the beer vendor who was playing his cash box like bongos.

Ike said...

I meant to say "Something," not My Sweet Lord.

Cheeseboy said...

The dude in the Hawaian shirt very well could have been my dad. Funny stuff Dave.

PS: I could not have picked a better 300th follower.

Caitlinp said...

Jealous. Not so much of #3 or #10 or the couple in that number I can't remember, but maybe of seeing Paul close enough to see his jowls sway (give him a break, he's like 90), and maybe the snowie.

Ben said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the tickets, Dave. All I've been hearing today is how Sir Paul rocked everyone's socks off. I wonder if I can pick up a Blue Raspberry Snowie on my lunch break?