6.30.2010

Food Aversions

Ah, the joys of the first trimester. I feel like I can't complain too much, since I have not been nearly as sick this time around as I was with Eddie. However, there are certain things that I cannot bring myself to eat at the moment. Because of these aversions, eating has become a much more complicated thing, and I have lost a couple of pounds over the last month. Since I know everyone is dying to know what weird things my pregnant body can't handle, here they are:

Peanut Butter. This was one of my aversions from when I was pregnant with Eddie, too. Just the sight of it makes me uncomfortable, and the smell of it makes me nauseous. I don't dare taste it because I'm afraid of what might happen.

Hamburgers. In general, I quite enjoy a good burger. But these days, the very thought of consuming a patty of ground beef is enough to make me grimace. I could probably eat one if it was one of those thin restaurant patties smothered in ketchup... but I wouldn't risk it unless I had no other choice.


Basil. Random, I know. Lately we have been eating a lot of fresh basil on pizza and in pasta, which is normally very tasty. But last week when we ate at Settebello, and yesterday when we got pizza from Sweet Home Chicago, I had to pick off all the basil because it was suddenly grossing me out. Dave said, "I couldn't even taste the basil on this pizza" and I said, "it's the only thing I can taste!"

Green Veggies. Green beans are one of my favorite vegetables normally. We got a Bountiful Basket the other week and ended up with tons of green beans, but I haven't been able to bring myself to cook them. So the lovely things are rotting away in our produce drawer. The same goes for broccoli. I don't mind it normally, but I don't even want to think about eating it these days.

3 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

If I had an aversion to burgers, I don't know what I would do. Note to self: never become pregnant.

Christie said...

It seems like burgers grossed me out the 1st part of my Kyle pregnancy but then later on I craved Hires Big H big time.. (we will try to keep our PB to ourselves this weekend..)

Teachinfourth said...

No burgers? Maybe you need one with bacon on it…bacon always seems to make everything better.

Here via Cheeseboy, BTW.